As you've no doubt heard, Google released an announcement on February 26th that has rocked the search engine space as we know it. The two changes are as follows:
1. Starting April 21st, Google expanded its use of mobile-friendliness as a ranking signal.
2. As of February 26th, Google began using information from indexed apps as a ranking factor for signed-in users who have the app installed.
With these updates Google is officially acknowledging an increasingly true aspect of SEO: Optimizing your website for mobile devices like smartphones and tablets is crucial. And it’s clear that if your business’ site isn’t ready, you’ll lose ranking to websites that are mobile-friendly.
The method behind the madness-meaning the reason for the changes-is the growing use of mobile search. Don’t believe mobile is that popular? These stats illustrate the rapid growth in this shift and just how big a deal it already is to getting found online:
- 3 out of every 5 searches are conducted on a mobile device
- Google has seen a 400% increase in the number of searches on mobile devices
- 52% of all local searches are done from a mobile device
- 77% of mobile searches occur at home or work (where there’s likely to be a desktop or laptop nearby)
So now that you know the importance of the update and the huge impact that mobile is already having on search, don’t wait to take action! Check out Why You Need Responsive Web Design and claim the power of a user-friendly mobile site.