Google is constantly working to improve the way information is consumed by users, and in turn is looking to create the best possible ways to find the right information when it is needed.
This is a huge benefit to businesses, as local businesses rely heavily on local search and being found in the right place at the right time.
Current users of either Google Places or Google+ Local will now be redirected to the new Google My Business. But what does this mean?
Who Should Use Google My Business?
Just about anyone in the business world should use the new Google My Business. And what does the "business world" mean? This means any type of businsses: small, large, local, B2B, or B2C. This also covers products or brands, as well as artists of all varieties, and organizations of any sort.
Basically, anyone who is looking to bring in business or increase recognition should be listed on Google My Business.
What's New With Google My Business?
Features for all Google My Business Accounts:
- Maintain consistent and up-to-date business information.
- Build a following of loyal customers on a Google+ Page and share content. This allows users to write posts, reviews, and use the +1 button as they see fit to endorse products and services.
- Track engagement with insights for Google+ pages and posts.
- One stop for your Google Analytics account, YouTube channels, and AdWords Express.
Features for Google My Business Accounts with a physical location or that service local geographies:
- Google can have your business show up in local search results.
- Read and respond to reviews from customers.
- Insights on how customers searched for your business, and where they are coming from.
Features Unique to Google My Business Accounts (As Opposed to Google+ Local or Google Places):
- An updated interface that makes editing your information easier.
- An integrated Reviews feature to read and respond to customer feedback
- Listing and per-field updates that show the status of your business information on Maps.
- Insights to help you track your business’s performance on Google.
- Google+ page features like sharing posts, starting Hangouts, and creating events.
When Will This Happen?
It already has! Try logging into your old Google+ Local or Google Places account and it's automatically done the upgrade to the new Google My Business. All you have to do is get familiar with the new updates and layouts of the platform in order to begin using this new system.
Why Should You Use Google My Business?
Think about how many times you yourself have to search for a product or business? How do you go about this search effort? Do you flip through magazines or make telephone calls? I doubt it.
In this day and age, it only takes a matter of seconds for someone to pull out their smart phone or log in to their laptop and search for whatever service or product they might need at that exact moment. The point of Google My Business is to provide all the information someone might want about your business in one location.
While finding a company's website can sometimes be exactly what a potential customer is looking for, oftentimes, websites can be a bit frustrating because no two ever seem to be alike. Finding addresses, telephone numbers, and location hours is not always the simple process that internet users have come to expect.
This is where Google My Business comes in. It provides all that information for multiple businesses in one spot with consistency. There is no need to dig through website pages to finally find a locations hours. Instead it is always in the same spot when searching through Google My Business listings. This is especially useful if your website is not laid out to be as effective and user friendly as it should be.